Taipei, Domestic gasoline and diesel prices will increase by NT$0.3 and NT$0.4 per liter, respectively, this week following a hike in international crude oil prices, Taiwan's two major suppliers said Sunday.
State-owned oil refiner CPC Corp., Taiwan (??) said that after the adjustments that take effect at midnight Sunday, prices at CPC gas stations nationwide will be NT$29.0 per liter for 92 octane unleaded, NT$30.5 per liter for 95 unleaded, and NT$32.5 per liter for 98 unleaded.
The price of super diesel will rise to NT$27.1 per liter.
CPC normally calculates its weekly fuel prices based on a weighted oil price formula made up of 70 percent Dubai crude and 30 percent Brent crude.
Under its floating pricing mechanism, the prices of gasoline and diesels should have been raised by NT$0.5 and NT$0.6 per liter, respectively, in the coming week after the average price per barrel rose US$2.08 this past week from US$74.46 to US$76.54.
That would have raised the price of 95 octane unleaded gasoline to its highest level since Nov. 10, 2014, when the price was NT$30.7 per liter, the company said.
Because of the government's fuel price stabilization mechanism, which came into effect last week, the weekly price increases will be capped at NT$0.3 and NT$0.4 per liter, respectively, according to the company.
Under the new mechanism, if the price of benchmark 95 unleaded gasoline rises to between NT$30 and NT$32.4 per liter according to CPC's weekly weighted price formula, the fuel supplier will shoulder 25 percent of the weekly price increase and consumers will bear the remaining 75 percent.
Meanwhile, Formosa Petrochemical announced Sunday it will raise gasoline and diesel prices by NT$0.3 and NT$0.4 per liter, respectively, effective from 1 a.m. Monday.
After the latest adjustments, prices at Formosa Petrochemical gas stations islandwide will be at NT$26.8 per liter for super diesel, NT$29.0 per liter for 92 octane unleaded, NT$30.4 per liter for 95 unleaded, and NT$32.5 per liter for 98 unleaded, the company said.
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel