Taipei-An Indonesian migrant worker who suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning after burning charcoal in a poorly ventilated room in Miaoli County has regained consciousness and is in stable condition, the county's fire bureau said Tuesday.
The incident occurred Sunday, when the victim and three other Indonesians tried to seek warmth from low temperatures by burning charcoal in their dormitory in Tongluo Township, where they are employed at a temple, the bureau said.
Three of them soon started feeling dizzy and nauseous, while the other fell unconscious, according to the Miaoli County Fire Bureau.
The unconscious victim was treated in a local hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning with hyperbaric oxygen treatment, the bureau said.
The hospital's deputy superintendent, Tsai Chien-tsung (???), said later that carbon monoxide poisoning is common when appliances such as water heaters or gas stoves are used in a poorly ventilated room or enclosed space.
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel