KMT’s Ting requests vote recount in Taipei mayoral race

Taipei, Kuomintang Taipei mayoral candidate Ting Shou-chung (???), who lost to Mayor Ko Wen-je (???) by 3,254 votes in the mayoral election on Saturday, filed a request for a vote recount Wednesday.

Ting filed an application with the Taipei District Court Wednesday morning by paying a NT$4.28 million (US$141,200) deposit, citing major flaws in the way the Central Election Commission and the Taipei City Election Commission handled the election.

Ting said after the election, many voters complained about irregularities during and after the voting process.

For instance, it has been widely reported that voting and counting took place simultaneously at a polling station in Shilin District, allowing voters to check up-to-date election results online while waiting to cast ballots.

The election was held alongside 10 referendums at 1,563 polling stations in the city from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, but voters were still waiting to vote at the city's polling stations after 4 p.m. when polling was scheduled to end, resulting in extremely slow ballot counting.

The ballot counting for the neck-and-neck mayoral race did not finish until 2:36 a.m. Sunday.

Meanwhile, some voters said they heard people shouting "dump Yao, save Ko" at polling stations, according to Ting. Yao refers to Yao Wen-chih (???) of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), another candidate in the mayoral race.

Tactical voting could have occurred, Ting said, suggesting that pan-green camp voters who initially intended to vote for Yao might have changed their minds and voted for Ko to keep Ting from winning after seeing Yao trailing far behind.

This was seen in the counting process because after reaching 190,000 votes, the number of ballots cast for Yao increased only slightly, Ting added.

Ting said he will decide whether to file a lawsuit to annul the election or to invalidate Ko's elected status depending on the result of the recount.

Ting filed an application for a vote recount on Sunday but withdrew it and announced his intention to file a lawsuit to have the vote annulled the next day.

Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel