Taipei--Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) on Saturday expressed concern and sympathy over a landslide that occurred in China's Sichuan province earlier in the day, in which more than 100 people are feared to have been buried.
The MAC said it has conveyed condolences to China, on behalf of the Taiwan government, and has offered to provide any necessary assistance.
The Taiwan government hopes that the rescue effort will proceed smoothly and that the residents of the area can return to their normal lives soon, the MAC said.
According to Chinese media, initial official statistics indicate that 46 homes were buried and 141 people were reported missing, after a hillside collapsed in the farming village of Xinmo in Sichuan's Maoxin County.
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel