Taipei, The head of the Memorial Foundation of 228 on Sunday said the foundation will issue in July the latest version of an investigative report on the brutal crackdown of an anti-government uprising in 1947 islandwide.
The latest report will be the third edition of an investigative report on the 228 Incident that follows previous versions published in 1992 and 2006, Memorial Foundation of 228 Chairman Hsueh Hua-yuan said.
Unwilling to provide any details from the report because it is still being compiled, Hsueh would only say that it will feature the latest findings based on recently obtained historical documents on the incident, he said.
It will focus on transitional justice and on who should take responsibility for the massacre, especially those sitting in high ranking police, military and secret service positions at the time, he said.
In the previous report in 2006, former President Chiang Kai-shek was identified as the person primarily responsible for the deadly crackdown, with Chen Yi then chief of Taiwan Province, and Peng Meng-chi a major-general in the Kaohsiung garrison, directly responsible for the behavior of troops in Taiwan.
After its release, the report will be translated into English and other foreign languages so that the world can better understand the history of Taiwan, he said.
The 228 Incident was triggered by a clash between government officials and an illegal cigarette vendor in Taipei on Feb. 27, 1947, leading to protests a day later that were violently repressed.
The crackdown triggered a broader, anti-government uprising islandwide that was put down by Kuomintang (KMT) forces.
An estimated 18,000 to 28,000 people were killed during the crackdown, which lasted into early May, according to an investigation commissioned by the Cabinet in 1992.
Meanwhile, Hsueh said his foundation is also compiling a list of around 2,000 potential victims in the 228 Incident who were previously unknown.
A first list of 447 of the newly discovered potential victims was posted on the foundation's website in December. The full list of 2,000 is scheduled to be made public before the end of this year, he said.
The foundation is calling them potential victims because researchers found new evidence in recently unearthed historical documents indicating that, unknown to their families, they may have been killed or injured during the crackdown, Hsueh said.
Once the list is made public online, the potential victims or their descendants can apply for government compensation before the application deadline on Jan. 18, 2022, he said.
To date, Taiwan's government has paid NT$7.2 billion to the families of 10,103 victims of the 228 Incident, according to information available from the 228 Memorial Foundation.
Hsueh made the comments during a press event to announce a series of memorial events to be held on Feb. 28, including a central government memorial service to be joined by President Tsai Ing-wen
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel