Police probing employer’s alleged rape of Indonesian caregiver

Taichung police are investigating allegations against a Taiwanese employer accused of sexually assaulting an Indonesian woman who is employed as a caregiver in his home, local authorities said Saturday.

Police said that after the alleged rape, the woman attempted to commit suicide and was hospitalized but is now in stable condition.

The woman first reported the alleged assault on Friday via the 1955 help hotline -- a toll-free, round-the-clock service run by the Ministry of Labor for foreign workers -- police said.

When police and Taichung labor officials went to the employer's home Friday in response to the call, the Indonesian woman appeared distressed and was unable to give a report to the police, authorities said.

The woman was taken to a safe shelter and the report was postponed until Saturday, the police said.

On Saturday morning, however, the woman was found with one of her wrists cut, in an apparent suicide attempt, and was rushed to hospital, police said.

Her condition has since stabilized, the police said, adding that they were expected to talk with her later in the day.

The 58-year-old man accused of raping the woman will also be questioned, police said.

He is married and lives with his parents and hired the caregiver to take care of his sick father, according to authorities.

The woman told authorities that she had recently sent a video to her employment agency, showing an incidence of her being sexually assaulted by her employer in Taichung, but the brokerage took no action.

A video posted on YouTube on Sept. 8 and on an Indonesian news site purportedly shows the Taiwanese man raping the Indonesian woman.

In the five-minute video, a gray-haired man with a bare chest is seen apparently sexually assaulting a woman, who repeatedly begs him to stop. The video has since been removed from the YouTube site.

A report in the Chinese-language Apple Daily hinted that the caregiver may have been raped by her employer more than once, since she was able to record the video as evidence of her ordeal.

Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel